11/22/10

The Black Box: I'm Electronically-Challenged!

I guess I’m electronically-challenged.


I don’t understand hooking up things to a TV, which remote to use for what, or much else regarding electronic devices.

A few years ago, I learned that we needed a black box from the cable company to access cable channels, although I never have figured out how to hook up the box.

Well, somehow in the process of moving twice in the last few years, one of the black boxes got packed away in a storage unit. When I canceled my cable service, I was told to bring the box in when I found it and I’d get credit for it.

Not long ago – and much to my relief – I found the black box. I carried it around in my car for a while until I could find time to go by the cable company office.

After waiting in line for a while, I finally had my turn at the counter. The lady checked my account by using my phone number, then said there was no record of a box still missing! She listened patiently while I explained what had happened.

We bantered back and forth a bit (nicely) and finally, exasperated, I said, “Well, how in the world did I end up with an extra box?”

She asked for the serial number, so I lifted the box onto the counter.

The lady looked at me in a rather odd way and asked, “This is what you’re returning?”

I said it was.

And she said, “Ma’am, that’s a VCR; that’s not a cable box.”

Oh, well, like I said, I’m electronically-challenged.



~      ~     ~     ~    ~

4 comments:

Sandee said...

Okay, I started reading this and said...yep that's me. I'm as electronically challenged as you are. Then I get to the end and you've got me beat. I do know the difference between the black box and a VCR. You crack me up.

Have a terrific day. :)

Unknown said...

LOL! I'm not electronically challenged, but this still gave me a good laugh.

Willy said...

Willy thinks he has it together with electronics. I have my TV, VCR, Cable box, stereo tuner, WII all hooked up and looking good. They all work through the tv. However, it always takes a while to figure out which remote to use and which setting on each machine.

The worst thing for Willy to here is the wife to say can you set that on the VCR real quick. Willy can't find the remote real quick.

10-4 Willy

HumorSmith said...

Might actually improve flight time if cockpit black boxes were VCRs. I'm just sayin'..'cause then there'd be visual evidence of the mile high clubbers, and the pilots would be flying the plane instead of the stewardesses. Again, just sayin'.

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com