5/26/10

Where Did All of This Stuff Come From????

Where did all of this stuff come from?

The Duppster and I are getting ready to combine households, i.e. two houses of furniture into one house.

In this situation, though, we have more than the two houses. There are three full storage PODS and a full two-car garage (and not with vehicles.)

The really big problem isn’t the furniture; it’s the stuff. And the junk. And all of those things in between.

For example, I’ve found three large boxes crammed full of odds and ends, marked to my son from his father (my ex.) At first glance, it appears these are things that the ex didn’t want to throw away but didn’t want to keep. So, he gave them to our son. My son doesn’t want them, although I think at some point in the future he might wish he had one or two of them.

So, what do I do with them? Is the term “mom” synonymous with “storage facility” or “holder of all things no one else wants to hold” or some other similar appellation?

There’s one daughter’s wedding dress, another daughter’s CDs and books, and many items whose owners are unknown.
No doubt, most of this is my fault and my fault alone.

I’ve come across seven pacifiers, although my youngest child will be 28 this week! Yes, I have a grandson, but he lived in Colorado during his first 14 months of life, so he wasn’t here much and he quit using a pacifier early.

And I’ve also come across some things that are unidentifiable; I have no idea what they are or how I ended up with them.

We are readying for a garage sale, lots of donations and the move. As we move things gradually to Dupp’s house, we’ve realized one of the great ironies of moving: at my house, it looks as though nothing has been taken away; at his house, it looks like everything is already there.

3 comments:

Sandee said...

I've no doubt that between the two of you that you will sort all this out. The one thing that is clear is how exciting this all is. Just saying.

Have a terrific day. :)

Syd said...

I've been going through some of this with moving out of my office where I have 31 years of files and books. I have gone through and thrown away a whole forest worth of paper in the recycle bin. I'm sure with rigorous and ruthless culling the combining of households will be solved.

kayerj said...

that's a big job. Last summer my husband and I had to go through our stuff and thin it out to make room for a remodel job! I couldn't get over the junk we had collected! Good luck . . .

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com