South Carolina has certainly made its share of the news this year. And here we go again!
Yale University (through its has just released its list of the "Top Ten Quotes of the Year." Yep, there's a quote from a South Carolinian in those ten. There's even a second one - and even a third one. Three of the ten. Can this be a good thing?
The top quote of the year was at a town meeting in Simpsonville, SC, from a constituent of SC Rep. Bob Inglis: "Just keep your government hands off of my Medicare." (I understand this sentiment; I want the government to keep out of a lot of what I do.)
Below is the 2009 roll of quotes from Yale:
1. "Keep your government hands off my Medicare." Rep. Bob Inglis at health care reform town hall meeting in Simpsonville, S.C., commenting on the government-created Medicare program, quoted by The Washington Post on July 28.
2. "We're going to be in the Hudson." Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, responding to air traffic controllers asking on which runway he preferred to land US Airways Flight 1549 on Jan. 15 before he landed in the Hudson River.
3. "There's an app for that." Apple's advertising slogan for the iPhone.
4. "You lie!" Rep. Joe Wilson's shouted retort to Obama's address before a joint session of Congress September 9.
5. "The Cambridge police acted stupidly." Obama, commenting on a white police officer's arrest of black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. at his home in Cambridge, Mass., at a news conference July 22.
6. "I'm going to let you finish, but Beyonce had one of the best videos of all time! One of the best videos of all time!" Kanye West, interrupting Taylor Swift's acceptance speech at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sept. 13.
7. "Um, you guys said that we, um, did this for the show." Falcon Heene, during an interview on CNN about his parents' balloon hoax on Oct. 15.
8. "The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's 'death panel.'" Sarah Palin, posting on her Facebook page on Aug. 7.
9. "The governor is hiking the Appalachian Trail." Spokesman for South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford regarding Sanford's disappearance on June 22.
10. "You give me a water board, Dick Cheney and one hour, and I'll have him confess to the Sharon Tate murders." Jesse Ventura, during a CNN interview May 11.
Do you remember most or all of the above utterances?
* * * *