11/21/11

Unusual Thanksgiving List




            Around this time of year, i.e. the fourth Thursday in November, writers start writing about the things they are thankful for. 

            Yep, that means most of us go right near a whole 11 months without writing about what we’re thankful for.  `

            Well, I’m gonna be like everybody else and tell you some of the things I’m celebrating.

            I’m thankful for my arthritic fingers.  Most of them are right crooked.  They’re knotted and a little gnarled.  Sometimes they hurt like heck.  But I’m thankful for them because they still play the piano, type away on the computer, cook a bit and scratch where there’s an itch. 




            I’m even thankful for my head.  Oh, sure: it doesn’t work right all of the time; it’s even slow on occasions and it hurts from sinus problems and tension.  But it’s awfully good in bearing the blame when I forget things, when I mess up, when I’m wrong: it’s just this old head, you know.

            I’m thankful for my legs and feet.  For the most part, they get me around and get me where I’m going.  Sometimes they jump a little, quite unexpectedly.  Sometimes they don’t want to sleep when the rest of me does.  And then sometimes, they go to sleep when the rest of me doesn’t. 

            The feet are downright ugly.  An ex-husband told me there was no way God could have made up for what He did to my feet.  They’re also very flat.  Even so, I’m thankful for the legs and feet. 

           

         And I’m thankful for the rest of me.  Some of it isn’t exactly where it’s supposed to be anymore; nature took care of that!

            Oh, yes, there’s a lot more that I give thanks for – family, friends and all of those things most people write about. 

            And one more thing: that very first Thanksgiving – you know,  the one with the Pilgrims and Indians back in 1621?  It lasted three days.


            I am very thankful that our Thanksgiving eatin’ time doesn’t last three days.


            This ole body couldn’t handle that.


            Happy Thanksgiving, Y'all!



*            *            *              *

3 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

I am thankful for your brother Rod, as I was reading you post today Rod kept popping into my head, he gave me the strength to continue my three year old fight, some of the battles have beaten me down but I take a licking and keep on ticking.......

Willy said...

Willy is thankful to be alive so he can be thankful for all of the things he complains about most of the time. Happy Thanksgiving.

10-4 Willy

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Great things to be thankful for :o)

(Thanksgiving eating for 3 days would be a doozy!)

I wanted to be sure to say Happy Thanksgiving!

Blessings & Aloha!

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com