8/21/09

It's Time for a Fake I.D.

I think it’s time to get a fake ID.
Yep, one of those cards – like teenagers get when they want to pretend they are 18 or 21 or some other age. My reasons are different, though.


I was at a grocery store the other day. It was a chain that I don’t shop in much any more, but I was out of town and this one was close. I couldn’t find my old “frequent buyer” card, so I went to the customer service counter to get a new one. Like most people, I wanted to save a few cents here and there on purchases.


The lady at the counter had two stacks of papers. One was the application for the card; the second was the card application for senior citizens. She glanced at me and, without speaking a word, she handed me the senior citizens’ application!

The lady could have been at least gracious enough to ask if I qualified as a senior citizen, but, no, she just took one look – one look that said, “Oh, yeah, you’re old.”


The age qualification for senior citizen status varies from place to place. Some use 55 or 60; others might use 62, 65, 70 or even as young as 50.

By this particular store’s standards, I am NOT a senior citizen. Did you see the word “not”? I am NOT a senior citizen. Okay, so I will be in two months. That does not mean I want someone to glance at me and assume that I am.


There are definite advantages to being a senior citizen. There are discounts involved at many places.

So, why in the world would I want a fake ID? After all, the reason for the card is to save money.


Well, see, if I get an ID card that indicates I’m 80 or 85, I’d show it – and hope people would say, “Oh, wow, you really look good for 85!”


Hey, you get this age, you work for compliments any way you can get ‘em!

10 comments:

chucker said...

In South Carolina, people who are 85 (even with a fake ID?)receive a 1% reduction in the tax on what they buy.

Big whoop.

My Mom, who now is 93, was not too impressed until I checked her receipts. Some sellers have trouble with 1%..several discounted her purchase 10%.

Bigger whoop.

Sherry at EX Marks the Spot said...

Yep, Chucker, I'm in SC, but, please, not close to 85 yet. Hope to make it there one day!!

Sandee said...

Bwahahahahaha. Hey if I can save more money being older then give me the old lady card. Just saying. I do see your point though. Thanks for the laughs.

Have a terrific day and weekend. :)

Margaret said...

Well, my grey hair is a BIG give-away...lol..I "hear'you on this ..If you are senior, OK, but not to be EVEN asked..geez~!!
Good post, and timely one too...
THANKS FOR COMING BY THE Old Story Tree....
Margaret....

StaceyC4 said...

I would have reached over the counter and smacked that clerk right in the head and then said "Not too bad for an old lady, huh!"

Syd said...

Sherry, I actually got carded the other day. Couldn't believe it. Oh well....good genes I guess.

Martha said...

This is funny. I remember just a couple of months before my 50th birthday, I received an AARP application in the mail. I laughed until I realized they were serious and I now qualified. Oh well, I guess considering the alternative, getting older is OK.

June Saville said...

To me being a senior citizen is a badge of honour. We took so much effort to get here!
I wrote a post recently about wisdom and wrinkles ...
June in Oz

Karen said...

As part of my job , I have to ask everyone who looks remotely like they are 62 if they are 62 or over, so that I can sell them a senior pass. Lots of people are offended, others are very glad that I asked. It just depends on whether or not they want to save money. And you know what, I have learned that you can't tell how old people are these days. Some people give me their ID's and they are in their 70's! I would have never guessed it.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Seriously! ...age... it's all relevant, right? haha

I look at these young, military boys when I am on post and think "my goodness! they are just babies!" (but then realize, maybe it's just cuz I could be their mom!)

...and I almost, always. have to subtract the year I was born to 2009 in order to give someone my age if asked! or I have to think how old our oldest daughter is and add to that...hmmm...could the reason I honestly can't instinctively, off the top of my head say how old I am, ...be denial?

...so, where was this grocery store?

Blessings & Aloha!

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com