7/7/09

Michael Jackson and Us: Why Am I Even Writing About This?

Add me to the list of those not quite understanding all of the hoopla surrounding the death of and memorial service for Michael Jackson.

He died on June 25th, the same day my husband, The Dawg, died. It’s been 12 days.

Yes, Michael Jackson died at what our society considers an early age: 50.

Yes, Jackson’s death was a surprise; it was unexpected. We knew Farrah Fawcett was seriously ill and nearing death, so when she died on the same day, it was not a shock.

Perhaps some people thought Michael Jackson was healthy. As the clips of Michael Jackson from the last year or so fill the television screens, I see someone who walked as though he were drugged on occasion, or on several occasions. He didn’t look healthy to me.

Yes, there are questions and suspicions about Jackson’s death. How did he get the drugs found in his system? How did he get those quantities?

Michael Jackson was a talented musician and a terrific performer, but other performers have died in the last few weeks: Karl Malden, Gale Storm, Billy Mays, Fred Travalena, Ed McMahon, David Carradine, for example. Were they as sensational as Jackson?

Probably not.

Nor were they as controversial. Questions and allegations were a big part of the last several years of Jackson’s life. Some even described him as “freakish.”

Still, the coverage of the aftermath of Jackson’s death has gone beyond the pale. (No pun intended.) Today the three major networks are changing regular programming to cover the memorial service.

This kind of treatment is usually reserved for presidents and royalty. The last time I remember so much hoopla was in 1997 when Princess Diana was killed in a car crash. But, of course, Jackson was royalty of a sort; he was the “King of Pop.”

Probably more influential to music, though, was James Brown, the “King of Soul.” There was no such extensive coverage for him.

Yesterday, seven American servicemen were killed in Afghanistan. Those are the heroes and they are the ones who deserve the coverage.

Where are our values?





Jackson photo from Wikipedia.

6 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

It is interesting that the fans want to see and be a part of the honouring of MJ. He is a household word for many reasons, none can take away from his success nor his mistakes.

I think it does not take away from those who have passed over.

We honour our soldiers in Canada as their remains then travel along the highway.

It is my understanding that ramp ceremonies are private, and media is not allowed to be present in the US.

I am sure there is enough love, honour, joy and to go around for all those who no longer live among us.

Sandee said...

I'm with you here. He was a freak. He liked little boys and got away with that. He hasn't really done anything since Thriller. You know why all this is happening? To make money. MONEY! That's what I think anyway. Bury him and let's move on.

Have a terrific day. :)

Syd said...

Sherry, I watched the CBS evening news and have to admit that what I saw of the excerpts was touching. I think that MJ was a tragic soul with enormous talent. I hope that he has finally found some peace. I think that his children will miss him greatly.

Harrison said...

Will they have a separate funeral for his brain is what I want to know.

jams o donnell said...

The service was broadcast here too in England. It was massive overkill

SandyCarlson said...

In our time, it seems rude to distinguish between good and bad, to apply values to our thinking and our choices. I am a rude person. I think Jackson was disgusting from start to finish. I think he was an accumulation of bad choices. He was not a victim. I think the lionizing of Jackson has everything to do with our wanting to let ourselves off the hook for our own bad choices.

Let's stop a moment for the men and women who make good choices and die young. They are the fabric of our flag.

God bless.

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com