6/10/09

Wordless Wednesday: Homing/Racing Pigeons

The Dawg raised and trained homing/racing pigeons for about 65 years. He started this as a Boy Scout when he was about 12 or 13 and earned a merit badge with this project. And he just kept going!

I'm totally amazed by a pigeon's ability to return home. The Dawg has had pigeons released in Texas (Abilene, I think) and they've flown back to Summerville, SC.

He has sold pigeons to people in places as far away as Taiwan. Birds have brought in as much as $700 each. The Queen of England is involved in this sport; The Dawg has visited her loft. (This is not to say, of course, that the Queen is out there doing the feeding and such herself.)

The Dawg has made life-long friends from all around the world as a result of this hobby.

Yes, I know; my "Wordless Wednesday" wasn't so wordless, but that's rather typical for me!


* * * * *
For other participants in Wordless Wednesday, click here.

3 comments:

Sandee said...

We have some boating friends that have homing pigeons. I love to hear them talk about these fascinating birds. He rents them out for funerals, and other events in his area. How fun.

Have a terrific day. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed with pigeons too. Great photo!

The Retired One said...

How fantastic!!!!
I would love to get into this!
How does one start?

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com