6/8/09

Home-Cookin'

Sunday dinners aren’t like they used to be for many people, especially in the South. Families used to gather after church – often with extended families – for a big meal with lots of Southern-style “home-cookin’.”

Over the years, more and more families have changed their rituals and traditions; many are going out to eat for Sunday dinner or just picking up food to take home or perhaps just grabbing a quick sandwich. Probably because I just like food in general, I enjoy ALL of those options!


Yesterday at church we had one combined worship service instead of our normal two. Since that meant getting there about an hour earlier than usual for me, I decided to make Sunday dinner ahead of time in my favorite old standby, the crockpot.

I put in chicken breasts, French onion soup, and a variety of other odds ‘n ends, which is the way I usually cook. French onion soup makes just about anything better, and the odds ‘n ends? Well, I don’t know exactly what they do, but they help!

Silently, I considered whether or not to turn the crockpot on "high"or on "low" for the chicken to be completely cooked by meal time, but not overcooked. Finally, I decided to turn the knob to the low setting.


After church, The Dawg asked what I had cooked. As I described the food, I could almost smell the aroma of the cooked meal. I just knew this was going to be yummy in my tummy!

What a shock when we walked in at home: there was no aroma. None. Nada. Zip.

Yes, I had selected “low” instead of “high” – but I had forgotten to plug in the crockpot.

Oh, well. So much for Sunday dinner.

3 comments:

Sandee said...

Oh we've done this one. Bwahahahahahaha. I so can relate to this. It hasn't been that long ago either.

Have a terrific day. :)

The Brantley Boys said...

This doesn't surprise me at all.

The Retired One said...

How funny! Especially since I have my crock pot cooking a roast this very minute!
I noticed you stopped by to my blog and left a comment on my waterfall photos....thanks!
I hope you return to my blog and add yourself on as a "follower".....I just added your blog to my reading list too.

The Retired One from The Retirement Chronicles

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com