4/13/09

Some Show 'n Tell


Years ago, I was filled with pride when Tree, my fifth-grade son, asked me if I would go with him for the class show-and-tell time.

I thought maybe the teacher had assigned students to bring their role models to class.

No, perhaps it was to be someone who baked cookies for them.

Or maybe, since I was serving on a local school board, it was to be someone in the public eye or someone who helped schools.

Even though my mind raced with possibilities, it really didn’t matter why he wanted me to come with him to school; I was just so pleased that he asked!

As Friday, the day for this event, drew near, I casually asked my son why he had chosen me. My question to him was rather matter-of-fact, no big deal.

Well, it was no big deal to him, when he casually answered, “Oh, we’re supposed to bring examples of vertebrate animals, and I thought you’d be a good example.”

A vertebrate animal.

Now, isn’t that special?

I managed to keep a pleasant look on my face as I assured him I’d be there and that probably no one else would bring the same kind of animal as he was bringing to class.

Ah, the sacrifices parents make!

But the best was yet to come! On Friday morning, as we readied for school, he said, “Oh, Mom; there’s just one thing. Mrs. Watkins said if the animal was large it had to be in a cage.”

A cage? Did my son think I was going to be put into a cage?

I went with him that day, but as this vertebrate animal and her son walked into the classroom, we both indeed walked. I was not in a cage.



* * * *

Copyright 2008 Sherry Shealy Martschink


(Since April marks the one year anniversary of this blog, I'm occasionally doing a few re-posts from the blog's beginnings. This is one of those.)

4 comments:

Syd said...

That's really funny. I guess that he didn't have a dog or a cat, a hamster, or fish. Pretty funny to think of your being presented to the class in a dog crate! Your son has a sense of humor for sure.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

HILARIOUS!
What a funny family you have. I love it.

The Brantley Boys said...

The funny thing, is that we did have two dogs at that time, right? He is still the same. Actually, Adam asked me last night after I told him about a recent conversation I had with my brother, "has your brother always been like that." Not sure what "like that" is, but he hasn't changed.

Sandee said...

Makes you wonder how they come up with some of this doesn't it? Do the two of you laugh about this now? I'd think so. I'll bet he doesn't even remember his though process either.

Have a terrific day. :)

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com