9/2/09

WW: Trees

Summerville, SC, passed a tree ordinance in 1847.  That ordinance, which is still on the books, reportedly was the first tree ordinance in the United States.  It's no wonder our town has beautiful trees throughout.
 
 
    TREES
by: Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
"Trees" was originally published in Trees and Other Poems. Joyce Kilmer. New York: George H. Doran Company, 1914. 
 
 
 
 
Click here for other Wordless Wednesday participants.
Click here for other Wordful Wednesday participants.
Click here for other Mostly Wordless Wednesday participants. 

18 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I love this! Older trees have so much character to them. These young ones planted in neighborhoods now are just not the same!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Carolyn G said...

Beautiful. I love trees. I love those big willow trees the most and don't get me started on magnolia trees!!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Majestic trees! Love them!

Dad of Divas said...

Beautiful trees... we don't always get the huge trees you have here, but I always love seeing the ones in Florida dripping spanish moss... truly makes me think of past times!

carrhop said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous!

Blessings~

storyteller at Small Reflections said...

Lovely post filled with marvelous trees. The well-known poem is a perfect choice ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Sandee said...

Trees are indeed wonderful. They add such wonderful character to everything.

Have a terrific day. :)

Muthering Heights said...

Wow, they are beautiful!

kayerj said...

love your trees and the poem. Here’s my WW hope you can stop by!

TwentySomethingMomma said...

What a lovely poem, and the pictures are simply gorgeous!

Happy WW!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

They are so gorgeous. Trees really are the most beautiful things!

I LOVE your new profile pic, by the way. You look pretty gorgeous yourself!

Syd said...

Nice trees. Thank goodness they are protected.

Brenda said...

I love trees and you captured some wonderful ones!

kayerj said...

What glorious trees! They are so beautiful and peaceful. I wish that I had a few trees in my back yard so that I could sit and enjoy the shade!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today. And I think I will show my kids that video when their 20. Or 16 and going on their first date. Either one works.

Heidi said...

I love the pictures your trees, very peaceful. I wish I had a few trees in my back yard that I could under and just enjoy the shade.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Catherine @ The Blonde Diaries said...

Those are some gorgeous trees you have there. They remind me of the oak trees that we had on my college campus - tall, old, and beautiful.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Sherry,

I love the huge trees you have shown here. That is something that I think adds so much here to downtown Savannah... being able to drive down the roads (like under a tunnel of greenery) with all the large oak trees with the Spanish Moss hanging down.

Blessings & Aloha!
(I will be working all week so will not have much time on the blog, but if you would please leave a comment on my last post...if you are interested in the gift certificate. :o)

If you are not, please let me know in an email (mgbotelho21@gmail.com), so that I can pull another name. Sincerely :o)

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com