9/26/11

Writing, Drawing and Facebook

I think Facebook is great.


Yes, it has its critics. Yes, it can be time-consuming. Yes, it can be annoying.


Yes, things can go wrong, but, hey, so can life. We can’t go through life avoiding everything that might go wrong. Otherwise, who would ever drive a car? 




Anyway, back to Facebook. Some folks say it is impersonal. I find it just the opposite. I’ve found long-lost friends. We stay in touch in ways we very likely would not do by phone and in ways we’ve never done by letter.

I’ve saved the many wonderful and even funny messages posted on Facebook when Rod, my brother, died just over a year ago. They are a treasure to read from time to time.

That's just one example of how I've found Facebook to be personal rather than impersonal.



The reason Facebook is on my mind right now is that I’m finally writing a book. Actually, I’m working on three books at once, with two others in the wings.

For years I’ve wanted to write a book and even had one planned out in my mind but just never got around to doing it. Once I decided to actually do it, the one that had been thought-out got put on the back burner as I worked, i.e. had fun, on three others.



I love to write; I cannot draw. I can’t even produce a stick figure. Or a ball. Or a star.

So, since the first book needed lots of artwork, I posted a note on Facebook that I was looking for illustrators. Wow! I was totally amazed at the responses.




And now, this little gift/novelty book is nearing publication with illustrations by 16 talented South Carolinians. They are from all across the state and range from young students to retirees.

I’ve met only three of the 16 face-to-face but, thanks to Facebook, I feel like I know ‘em all!




----------------------------------

2 comments:

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

I don't do too much on facebook, compared to tohers, but I am thankful for the many old friends and even family (some that I didnt even know existed!) that I have been able to reconnect with! Growing up military, I have moved every 2 years with my dad, and didnt keep in touch with many childhood friends, like I wish I had. But through fb, it has been possible to find some and for some to find me :o) And recently I have been organizing past art orders on fb, so that has been great for me (I appreciate any type of organization! haha)

How wonderful to hear that your book is nearing publication!!! And how great to have those illustrations done through the responses of your fb request.

Blessings & Aloha!
Thank you so much my friend for stopping by :o) I love that you love the title of my post :o) lol
I am way behind in blog reading! & I almost missed two weeks of getting a post up!

Syd said...

Awesome, Sherry. Looking forward to seeing your book out and a signing.

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com