7/19/11

Sheep and Beer Bottles



Have you ever counted sheep?


If not, what do you do when you can’t seem to get to sleep?

I’ve always had a hard time going to sleep. I also have a hard time waking up!!

Counting sheep doesn’t seem to work for me. I could never figure out where all to find the sheep and which sheep to count. Are the sheep supposed to be out in a field or pasture, just wandering around? Or are they supposed to passing by in single file in a line or in a semi-circle over the bed?


Sometimes I get up and read, or work a crossword puzzle, or create a crossword. Sometimes I get up to do some writing. But all of these things seem to stimulate the brain, so that I’m awake for hours and hours.

Recently, I finally tried silently “singing” an old song: “A Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall.”

It takes a while but this seems to work better than anything else. The problem is that, the older I get, the less I can remember. As I try to go backwards from 100, I can’t keep track of how far I’ve gotten numerically. Try as I might, I can’t seem to remember if I just did the verse for 95 or if 95 is the next one.

One night I got down to 53 before falling asleep, but I think I did all of the 60s and all of the 70s twice that night.

It’s likely that on some nights I do the same number several times over before moving on.

But, as long as I finally get to sleep, I guess it doesn’t really matter which numbers I’m doing.

Now, if I could just figure out a way to wake up quickly.

~                    ~                       ~                         ~

No comments:

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com