8/30/09

Uh-oh! Wrong Word

Sometimes I get my words all mixed up, which means that sometimes I make absolutely no sense!

One day a friend and I were discussing pet peeves. One of mine is people who talk with food in their mouths.


When I was growing up, I used to get so irritated by smacking. For some reason, it just turned my stomach. Now, I get the same feeling if someone at the table talks with food in his or her mouth. It’s just gross! And impolite. And improper etiquette. (Can you tell it bothers me???)


But, when I went to tell my friend about this pet peeve, I got my words mixed up and said: “I can’t stand it when people eat with food in their mouths.”


Um, yeah. How else do people eat? Isn’t having food in the mouth a part of eating?



Nancy, a long-time friend, and I were at a conference several years ago. We were having dinner at a round table with some attendees we didn’t know. Nancy crossed her legs under the table and accidentally kicked someone, then said, “Excuse me. I just have long knees.”


Long knees? She meant, of course, long legs.


Can you just picture someone with long knees? Such a person probably even eats with a mouth really full of food!

3 comments:

Sandee said...

I see we are bothered by the same things. I think the smacking is the worst. Drives me up the wall.

Long knees? Let me work on that for a bit. Bwahahahahahaha.

Have a terrific day. :)

StaceyC4 said...

I agree about the talking with food in your mouth. Although, right up there with it is just plain ol' chewing with your mouth open. My teenage son does this one a LOT and I've just taken to looking at him and mooing.

He stops.

Syd said...

I don't like poor table manners either....smacking is one of the worst. As well as digging in one's mouth for hung up food. Great topic!

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com