11/15/08

I Really, Really, Really Hate Red Tape!

I hate red tape. When I say I hate red tape, I mean I really, really, really hate red tape.
Right now, my frustration is aimed at IRS.
I’ve been getting letters saying I didn’t file with IRS or pay my taxes in 2002, 2003 and 2004.
But I did. Not only did I file my returns, I got refunds each of those three years.
So, either IRS received what I filed, or, out of the goodness of its heart, IRS sent me money each year. Did I say “heart” when referring to IRS? Poor choice of words.
I’ve written back saying yes, I did file returns. Yes, I got refunds. Please check your records, IRS.
Now I’ve gotten another letter from this particular bureaucratic agency. It seems that IRS is not going to send my refund for this year because the nice folks are deducting it from what they say I owe for 2002, 2003 and 2004 – the same years for which they previously sent refunds.
And with each passing day, interest and penalties are being added.
Does anyone at IRS actually read the mail? Has anyone thought to look at the letter I sent, or did it just get filed as correspondence without being read?

Although I’ve changed names (that happens with marriage and divorce, you know), I haven’t changed social security numbers. I’ve even notified IRS about the name change and reminded them that the social security number is the same.
If I go bald, it will be from pulling out my hair! Maybe I’ll just cover my head with red tape. Red tape seems so fashionable. Apparently it’s the “in” thing – at least at IRS.

2 comments:

Sandee said...

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I hate red tape. The right hand never knows what the left hand is doing or has done. :)

TxGambit said...

Oh ick! I hate that. I hope you can get it sorted soon.

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com