9/13/08

Lipstick, Part 2


Okay, so yesterday we were talking about lipstick.
Remember? This week, everybody’s been talking about lipstick: Palin, Obama, McCain. So, I guess it’s a great topic. In case you’ve forgotten, British Parliament actually banned lipstick in 1770, but that story was told yesterday.
Anyway, the fact that lipstick has stayed as a topic of conversation reminds me of the staying power of lipstick – on lips, not in the news. Six hours, 8 hours, 10 hours, even 16 hours, or so the ads claim. What I’ve found is that the longer the "paint" is supposed to stay on, the harder it is to move my lips with the stuff on. It has some sort of drying effect.

“Stick” in the name may a bit of a misnomer sometimes. Some lip colors come in little pots, in tubes with brushes, in pencil form and such. No one really wants to call it “lip pot.”
Lipstick is more than a lip paint for females. Did you know there was a television show named Lipstick Jungle? There was a movie called Lipstick (1976, starring Mariel and Margaux Hemingway) and another film named Why I Wore Lipstick To My Mastectomy. There’s even a rock band named Lipstick. If you're someone around my age, you probably remember one of Connie Francis' songs, Lipstick On Your Collar, in which she sang that "lipstick on your collar told the tale on you." Have you ever left lipstick where you shouldn't have or had it left on your collar?
And there’s a lipstick plant.

Now, between this post and yesterday’s post, I think I’ve written everything I know about lipstick, but stay tuned to the news for more political debate about this small cosmetic!
Lipstick plant photos by aletteke and roccovalentino on Flickr.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've been added to our list of members on Bloggers Over 50

You may have to refresh your browser to see your link on the list.

Welcome.

Patricia Rockwell said...

What a thoroughly delightful post! I am a fan!

Unknown said...

Patricia:
So glad you dropped in and took time to leave a comment. I enjoyed your blog!

Unknown said...

To bloggers over 50:
I appreciate the add-in. I enjoy reading blogs of others who are over 50.

 
This site was recently updated by oxymoron13@aol.com